Another Points Deficit
John had a points deficit (as defined by Matt, see post in November below). BIG points deficit. He forgot Valentine's Day. Yes, he did. As he pleaded his case he reminded me he had been busy taking care of me in the blizzard. Um Hum.... Then he told me his love for me shouldn't have to be defined on a particular day.....it's all year long.....blah, blah, blah. Okay, then he said that VDay was just a fabrication of women and the retail industry (can you see he's beginning to get defensive here?). Oh Whatever! Under normal circumstances, we talk things through and come to a mutual understanding. But this needed drastic measures. I actually gave him "the silent treatment". Then, like the daughter I raised, Kate called home and talked to John and asked where her VDay gift was. I'm loving this! John fumbled through another conversation. The next morning, I told John not to try and make it up and send flowers. Here's the thing: I *KNOW* flowers means he forgot the deal and it's a quick fix. It's not that I'm unappreciative. I learned several years ago, if someone wants to buy you flowers, accept it graciously. You know, I really didn't want to have to throw away the wilted reminder that he forgot. Throughout the day, I really did forget about it and chalked it up to Manly Stupidity. That evening I went home, kissed my husband and proceeded as usual. John took me and my friend, Patty, to dinner. But first he gave me his gift for me -- a diamond and emerald heart shaped necklace. Okay, he has no more points deficit. I let him out of the dog house. Sometimes when words won't quite do it, baubles will. Matt, John says it gets more and more expensive. Since I married John my bauble collection has grown dramatically. There's something to be said for positive reinforcement! :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home