Don't Blink!
Things can change dramatically "in the blink of an eye". Last Sunday (a mere five days ago) I posted about our delightful day with Katie. I went to work Monday, as usual, thinking life is pretty grand. My kids are happy, my husband is happy, I'm happy. Monday night that changed. Just before my conflict management class at 7pm, my nephew Shawn called. He told me his mother (my sister) is being airlifted to Little Rock with an aneurysm located in the base of her brain. I spent the next few minutes gathering information, facts, and planning my emergency flight to Little Rock. I matter of factly told a classmate my circumstances and she marveled at my ability to be calm. It isn't really calm, it's denial. Denial kicked in so I could survive this horrific event. I like denial, it's sort of a friend of mine. My sister is one of the finest people on this planet and everything to me. And I'd like to say she's fine now. But this story doesn't end yet. Hopefully, my sister will continue to spend the next days in ICU, then to the floor, then home. Her life will never be the same. Absolutely ever, in the blink of an eye her world changed. She lies in the hospital bed helpless and so very fragile. More than one physician said "fatal". There's a new "f" word. The other more popular one won't even get a second glance from me because there are things that are more shocking. Fatal is more shocking. Fatal is more obscene. Fatal is more permanent. I'm about ready to head home back to Kokomo and I love my sister -- even now she moves me because of her strength of will. She has been and forever will be my role model, confidante, and friend. So as I head home I'll start to deal with all the emotion of the week. I think I don't want to blink again anytime soon.

2 Comments:
Liz,
My heart is with you and I will be calling you soon. Keep the courage.
Know you can lean on me if needed.
Love you- Mary
By
Anonymous, at 12/16/06, 2:04 AM
Mary,
I know you are always there!! And I luv ya! Ditto on the always there thing.
By
Liz, at 12/17/06, 3:13 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home