Sprinklin' Stardust

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Interstellar Noise

I'd really like to get this off my chest. Motivation in this context alone implies the totality of the end result is up to the employer. I disagree! The employee has a profound impact on this equation. You just can't always get people "motivated" no matter how much you want it for them. In Psychology Applied to Work, Muchinsky refers to an employee's affect. Given a person's personality - some just have it, while others not so much. Interesting to me, a high correlation exists between neuroticism and effectiveness. Just goes to prove you really can't judge a book by it's cover. Those that you assume will be "motivated" are just not. And vice versa. Any feedback on this?

1 Comments:

  • Interesting. This definitely applies to the classroom as well. I've had some students who expect me not only to instruct, but to also motivate them as well. The way I see it, college students should be able to motivate themselves. For me, this is a Theory Y approach vs. a Theory X management approach. Personally, I prefer to lead with the Y approach, even if this means that some students will underperform because I'm not the task-master they need. Just my take. That's not to say that I don't try some motivation here and there, but...

    By Blogger Raul Mosley, at 7/10/06, 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home